Printed books have their inherent traditional status, along with other benefits like readability. However, it seems that the number of disadvantages in printed books outnumbers their advantages. First of all, a large number of trees need to be cut down in order to produce paper for traditional books. Reliable sources state that the yearly consumption of paper for the production of books and newspaper is nearly 1.63 million tons. Switching to eBooks can save the quantity of paper used at least one-third. Another drawback associated with traditional books is the complicated process of production and shipping. The process involves the production of greenhouse gasses and shipping of these products account for 12% of marine pollution that is caused by activities of humans. Transporting paper across seas comes with the risk of oil leakages and this can destroy marine plants and animals. With eBooks replacing paper books, you can eliminate these risks and ensure a cleaner environment.
Digitization has overpowered print media much visibly and the trend is seen almost everywhere these days leaving behind no exceptions. Being one of the professional eBook conversion service providers in India we are getting a lot of inquiries from different industry verticals. Recently we are being approached by many schools and institutes for eBook conversion services. This prompted us to study the scenario in detail and the blog post deals with the findings we made.
- A king part of schools prefers building digital libraries over book rental or subscription models.
- Though this particular domain has just started embracing eBook conversion, a rapid and massive growth is expected soon.
- The district, as well as school leaders, have started seeking conversion technologies and tools capable of supporting learning instructions and services.
- More than 90% of the respondents expect the increase in eBooks in the next two years.
- Nearly 60% have reported that only 10% of the total books present in their schools are eBooks.
- However, 50% predict that in the next two years at least 40% of the books in their school will be in the electronic version.
- Reduced storage space-Thousands of eBooks, quizzes, homework and other files can be accommodated in a single device when you use tablets. The trend of e-books replacing traditional books will completely eliminate the need to store books physically.
When it comes to library purchase model
- 40% prefer purchasing eBooks in the Library model where the texts are owned by schools and students are allowed to use books on their devices.
- 15% are planning to implement a subscription fee from students to grant them access to the library.
- 5% are looking forward to renting books in a time-limited single checkout per rental model.
- 40% were not having enough information regarding the subject to express their preference or they were not, in fact, sure regarding what they wanted.
As far as the student’s interest is concerned
- Nearly 10% of students still prefer paper books
- 50% are excited about digital books created from expert eBook conversion companies.
- It was interesting to note that 40% of students were not even interested in expressing their preference.
Advantages of eBook over printed books
An eBook offers a wide variety of advantages, which you won’t get while using a traditional book. The technology-driven world has witnessed an increased rate of usage of eBook readers by the youth. Reading material can also be presented in the same way. When it comes to ebooks vs paper book comparison, the most important advantages of eBooks are:
Portability- You can access different eBooks while you are moving. People need to carry a single device with all these files. It is much more convenient than carrying multiple books physically. The eBook readers can be easily be carried around due to their lightweight.
Speed- You can instantly download an eBook and read it. No hassles are there in order, delivery, and purchasing.
Backlight- Inadequate lighting can be a challenge when you read traditional books at night. However, eBook readers and other devices supporting them have the built-in light that allows people to read them even in darkness.
Font size- Users can alter the size of the font on the screen, as per their requirement. This ensures that their eyes do not get tired and strained.
No worries about delivery: With a paper book,s there is a constant worry either about its availability in book store or getting it delivered on time, so as to begin an academic year. One would have to wait for nearly a week and if not, keep checking their mailbox to see whether their books have arrived. But with digital distribution, you will have no such doubts. Once you order it online, the eBook becomes available within no time and help you start with your syllabus right away!
Conserving environment: This is one of the main advantages of digital books over paper books. It goes without saying that eBook saves lots of trees from being cut to make paper. With global warming already taking a toll on our environment, it is better to play it safe and choose the digital way for all your learning and teaching requirements.
Budget friendly: Do away with shipping or delivery charges by opting for eBooks! It is a proven fact that textbooks available online is relatively far cheaper than the hardbound copies. It is highly cost-effective and also, helps you to spend your savings in the better way like investing in hobbies, tuitions or to buy other essential things. This is one of those pros of eBooks that you can’t simply ignore.
Get some space: Digital textbooks solve the problem of storage. By doing away with traditional paper books, you will have more space to utilize within the classroom and shelves in a much refined manner. Moreover, eBooks are quite compatible while digital learning modules can assimilate a huge amount of information, activities, project works and online resources, without having the fear to safeguard them manually or stack them safely somewhere in your well-crammed cupboard.
Boosts productivity: Digital textbooks are not only easy to use, but also effective during the learning process. Students using an eBook can browse through large volumes of study materials with its index, search for any relevant information, adjust the font size, select any particular detail and save it for future use, listen to educational audio clips and many more such things at one given time. They can even highlight certain portions in any concerned chapters and not worry about spoiling any hard copies, which in case had to be used by someone else in future. What’s more! Students themselves can test their intellect in regard to their curriculum by choosing question banks or taking quiz, once after finishing their chapters.
Hope the comparison of traditional books vs. eBooks has helped you enough to understand the importance of going digital. Thus, in the upcoming academic year, opt for interactive eBook in education by request goodbyes to the traditional forms of the notebook. One can get hold of an eBook anytime and from anywhere within no time since it is available simply on a click, besides being quite easy on pockets as well. With modernization entering into every field, it is better to upgrade one’s learning methods or teaching process by taking up the digital route. And electronic publishing will surely turn out to be a good and beneficial change for you as well as the environment.
Know more about the latest trends regularly; follow our blog.