Printed books have their inherent traditional status, along with other benefits like readability. However, it seems that the number of disadvantages in printed books outnumbers their advantages. First of all, a large number of trees need to be cut down in order to produce paper for traditional books.Reliable sources state that the yearly consumption of paper for the production of books and newspaper is nearly 1.63 million tons. Switching to eBooks can save the quantity of paper used at least one-third. Another drawback associated with traditional books is the complicated process of production and shipping. The process involves the production of greenhouse gasses and shipping of these products account for 12% of marine pollution that is caused by activities of humans. Transporting paper across seas comes with the risk of oil leakages and this can destroy marine plants and animals. With eBooks replacing paper books, you can eliminate these risks and ensure a cleaner environment.
Digitization has overpowered print media much visibly and the trend is seen almost everywhere these days leaving behind no exceptions. Being one of the professional eBook conversion service providers in India we are getting a lot of inquiries from different industry verticals. Recently we are being approached by many schools and institutes for eBook conversion services. This prompted us to study the scenario in detail and the blog post deals with the findings we made.
- A king part of schools prefers building digital libraries over book rental or subscription models.
- Though this particular domain has just started embracing eBook conversion, a rapid and massive growth is expected soon.
- The district, as well as school leaders, have started seeking conversion technologies and tools capable of supporting learning instructions and services.
- More than 90% of the respondents expect the increase in eBooks in next two years.
- Nearly 60% have reported that only 10% of total books present in their schools are eBooks.
- However, 50% predict that in next two years at least 40% of books in their school will be in the electronic version.
- Reduced storage space-Thousands of eBooks, quizzes, homework and other files can be accommodated in a single device when you use tablets. The trend of e-books replacing traditional books will completely eliminate the need to store books physically.
When it comes to library purchase model
- 40% prefer purchasing eBooks in Library model where the texts are owned by schools and students are allowed to use books on their devices.
- 15% are planning to implement a subscription fee from students to grant them access to the library.
- 5% are looking forward to renting books in a time-limited single checkout per rental model.
- 40% were not having enough information regarding the subject to express their preference or they were not, in fact, sure regarding what they wanted.
As far as the student’s interest is concerned
- Nearly 10% of students still prefer paper books
- 50% are excited about digital books created from expert eBook conversion companies.
- It was interesting to note that 40% of students were not even interested in expressing their preference.
Advantages of eBook
An eBook offers a wide variety of advantages, which you won’t get while using a traditional book. The technology-driven world has witnessed an increased rate of usage of eBook readers by the youth. Reading material can also be presented in the same way. When it comes to ebooks vs paper book comparison, the most important advantages of eBooks are:
Portability- You can access different eBooks while you are moving. People need to carry a single device with all these files. It is much more convenient than carrying multiple books physically. The eBook readers can be easily be carried around due to their lightweight.
Speed- You can instantly download an eBook and read it. No hassles are there in order, delivery, and purchasing.
Backlight- Inadequate lighting can be a challenge when you read traditional books at night. However, eBook readers and other devices supporting them have the built-in light that allows people to read them even in darkness.
Font size- Users can alter the size of font on the screen, as per their requirement. This ensures that their eyes do not get tired and strained.
Know more about the latest trends regularly; follow our blog.