Technology is ever-evolving. Earlier a mass favorite, the use of Flash is now declining rapidly. Flash has been preferred by eLearning developers owing to the fact that it avails high interactive levels, the graphics are brilliant and it supports animation across multiple platforms.
The switch from Flash to HTML5 is due to a combination of several reasons. Converting Flash to HTML5 is beneficial and in fact a requirement. The below-detailed points will justify the claim made.
- The number of people using smartphones and tablets has drastically increased in the recent years. Owing to the fact that Flash is not supported by iOS and many Android devices, it has become inconvenient for people to use it on the go. Here, HTML5 trumps over Flash. This is one of the main advantages of Flash over HTML5.
- Not only is HTML5 able to function on both desktops and smartphones, it is also more secure and works wonderfully with touchscreen devices. HTML5 is easily accessible. It does not require downloading plug-ins to enable its functionality. All the leading internet browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are HTML5-friendly.
- HTML5 is user-friendly and encourages improvements in the eLearning content sector. It is an open technology that can easily be customized and created to better suit a developer’s ability. What’s more, HTML5 can be used to create engaging games on smartphones without any hassle.
- The technology that Adobe Flash uses has become redundant because better and smarter options, like HTML5, are available today. HTML5 consumes less processing power and runs quickly and smoothly. In the future, HTML5 is going to be the more accessible, flexible and durable option.
With all the reasons why it has become necessary to switch from Flash to HTML5, it comes as good news that it is possible to convert Flash content to HTML5. It is equally possible to convert interactive SWF content to HTML5. Below are some tips to help make your transition as smooth and easy as possible.
1. Take note of the content that needs to be converted
Before one takes on a new project, it is important to know how much work and time it will require. This prepares one for the journey that lies ahead. Good preparation makes it easier to accomplish the ultimate goal. Before diving mindlessly into converting content from Flash to HTML5, note the amount of content that needs to be worked on and strategically divide it. Along with good strategy, it is also important to keep on reviewing the work as you go. This saves one from unexpected problems in the end.
After extracting all the eLearning content, a good way to go about the conversion would be to make a database to store all the extracted content. By doing so, you can revisit the original content and keep checking to make sure that nothing is left out.
2. Good eLearning Authoring Tools
The merits of eLearning cannot be emphasized enough. It has caught the attention of the masses for the many advantages it has to offer. To convert effortlessly from Flash to HTML5, excellent eLearning authoring tools have to be used. One has to find a tool that can do the job well, without throwing the developer out of budget. Typically, it is recommended that the authoring tool has built-in assets, as well as templates and themes.
3. Work on the Framework and Keep An Eye on The Details
As mentioned above, it is recommended to store all the eLearning content on a database. The content should be analyzed and a framework indicating how to go about the conversion should be made. Use templates to feature the content. These eLearning design templates should ideally feature elements like color schemes, icons, links to social media, and there should always be surplus space for any unplanned additions.
Detail is the key and to keep track of details, an eLearning storyboard can prove to be very useful. Using it, one can line up all the content that needs to be converted. All the data should be marked carefully with its destination folder.
4. Periodic Reviews and Revisions are Necessary
Converting content from Flash into HTML5 is all about precision. When one is converting huge amounts of content, mistakes can happen. Data can be dropped or forgotten. Instead of waiting until the end and reviewing the work after the conversion has finished and then trying to fix the problems all at once, it is advisable to keep on reviewing the work as one proceeds. Some problems cannot be fixed in the end and might require the entire conversion to be done again. To avoid wasting your time and effort, periodic checks and revisions are strongly suggested.
To do this yourself, it is important to know about some top eLearning authoring tools like Adobe Captivate, Elucidat and Articulate Storyline2. Even though it is possible for one to learn how to convert eLearning content to HTML5, it would be a tough process filled with time-consuming challenges. With something as important as content conversion, it is always better to hire professional Flash to HTML5 conversion services. Not only will this save you time and effort, it will ensure a better result. Professional services will guarantee a smooth transition with no loss of data, efficiency and a better overall experience.