Designing is a task which is always a challenge and magazines too are not an exclusion to this. To create a visual delicacy that can captivate, it needs a perfect blend of imagination and intellects in an artist. There are many reliable inventive companies to which you can outsource magazine designing tasks.
Keeping aside the fact that different magazine design outsourcing companies in India follow their own strategies and styles, there are some tips which always stand applicable.
Target audience analysis
The prerequisite for any magazine design service in India is to understand the preferences of the target audience. This is very vital in every process carried out whether it’s about the color combinations, photographs to be incorporated or fonts to be used etc. It’s obvious that you can’t impress every section of audience with the same output. So, thoroughly evaluate and identify the approach that can satisfy the major part of your target audience.
Get inspired from the best works
Inspiration is apparently the best thing that positively influences an artist. Keep collecting magazines that attract you at the first glance itself. Now pore over each one of them to recognize the elements that grabbed your attention. This will give you at least a concise idea about what all are to be included in a creation, how to position them and in what proportions each component has to be used.
How to Create a Magazine Layout?
The answer to this question is greatly influenced by the designer’s design philosophy, his/her preferences with regard to color, graphics, and typography, a brand’s specific philosophy, its messaging, and color palette, and last but not the least, the taste and preferences of the readers. Additionally, the answer to this question would also include the technical aspects of design including the choice of the appropriate graphic design software and the designer’s proficiency in handling the program. In this article, we have explored both the design and the technical aspects, which would allow you to get an overall idea about how to create a magazine layout.
Magazine Layout Inspiration
Today, magazines are released in both print and digital versions. This means that you can adapt any innovative concept and apply it to any form of magazines. Let’s take a look at top 5 magazine design inspirations for diverse industries for this year:
- Adventure Digital Magazine: The layout of this magazine is a classic example of how images can be positioned appropriately in the front and center while ensuring a perfect harmony with text sections. This magazine features immersive photography and in such situations, focus should be given more to images than to words. Since this is a digital magazine, so readers have the privilege of scrolling text. That’s the reason why, for such magazines, you can confidently include long-form content without compromising on the space for graphics.
- Aficionado e-Magazine: This magazine features a horizontal layout, which most traditional publications choose to avoid because of inconvenience with regard to holding. However, with the widespread use of tablets and eReaders, horizontal layouts are being used widely. This template provides inputs for horizontal page orientation. You can use columns to divide a page into half, or put the major weight to one side only, or you may skip altogether in order to put more focus on the photography or to include greater white space.
- Azure Magazine: The specialty of this magazine-layout lies in the fact that it supports color customization quite smoothly. It can accommodate bold fonts and blocky columns and this improves readability. It is a good idea to go for high-contrast colors for the background and the text. You can use color psychology to evoke desired emotions of the readers. If you are highlighting a specific brand, you should use the brand’s color palette.
- Connoisseur Food Magazine: The specialty of the template of the Connoisseur Food magazine layout lies in the fact that it features colored sections that separate individual pages. With this template, you can explore a number of possibilities. For example, you may include a single column that remains bordered by photography or you may choose to include three thin columns side by side. You can create diverse layouts, vertical as well as horizontal, which would include stunning close-ups of mouthwatering delicacies.
- New Yorker Business Magazine: This business magazine layout mainly includes shades of black and white, but sometimes it does feature strong shades of red that add a powerful impact. It features thin fonts and its art-deco style adds a special feel to its otherwise monochromatic appearance. The ample allocations of white space particularly in layouts features single columns are further glorified by scrolling text and a single quote that is highlighted on both the sides.
How to design a magazine spread
The magazine format is strikingly different from formats of other media. Each spread derives its creative potential through a creative combination of color, text, illustration, and content. However, a designer can showcase his/her real talent with a double-page spread. The spread serves as the canvas for an artist.
This is a commonly used fix used by most designers. By using contrasting color blocks side by side and by applying secondary colors for the textual parts, a stunning composition can be created. By utilizing area of the entire spread, you can narrate compelling stories through strong colors.
You may be needed to highlight the stories of people in the best possible way. So you need to make sure that you are providing clear text that highlights all the details. However, you may often need to send out a compressed message due to space constraints. In that case, you may highlight the best quotes with bolder colors and stylish typography.
Apply either minimalism or maximalism
Most designers either choose a minimalist or a maximalist design approach. It is a good idea to adopt any of these approaches. You may either use strong colors, stylish typography, and stunning headlines or adopt a maximalist approach or you may go for simple images, simple fonts, and more of white space with a minimalist thought. Choose one approach as this will give your composition a specific creative viewpoint.
Spreads that are vertically-aligned are rarely used in magazines. This is mainly because of the fact that readers need to engage in active reorientation. However, such alignments allow designers to try out creative things such as highlighting the height, showcasing infographics with better clarity, and highlighting vertical photographs with better glory.
How to layout a magazine in Indesign
These are the steps that you should follow in order to create a magazine layout in Adobe InDesign:
- Document Set-UpWhen you initiate a project in InDesign, a document of the correct size needs to be created for the project.
- Create a new document by selecting Document under the File option.
Choose the following settings from the New Document option:
- Select Print or Web, depending on requirement.
Select your preferred page size.
- Add 3 pages minimum to create a spread.
- Choose bleed guides to be .125 inches.
- Select Print or Web, depending on requirement.
- Opt for Create.
For a complex magazine that has multiple layouts, you should apply the following changes on the master page:
Incorporate a design element.
Now you can add content.
- Choose Margins And Columns under the Layout option. In the dialog box, the link option should be selected in the Margins section.
Next, modify the margin guides to regulate the distance from the edges. Select OK.
- Choose the Rectangle tool and create a frame that leans towards the purple and pink margin guides.
- Go to the Properties panel and choose a stroke color and weight.
Select column and margin guides.
Add design matter easily to the layout by setting up margin and column guides to determine the content positioning.
- Select Margins And Columns again under the Layout menu.
- Create multiple columns.
Modify the distance between the columns to your preferred value.
- Modify the exterior margins by deselecting the link option under the Margins menu. Double the exterior margin value by putting the cursor after the exterior margin value and then by typing *2. Observe the change by clicking in another field.
- Select OK.
Incorporate horizontal guides for graphical alignment.
To visually segregate the layout quarters or to add a guide to the layout-center in a vertical fashion, apply the Create Guides command.
This would help you visualize spacing and alignment.
- Select ‘Create Guides’ under the Layout option.
- In the opening dialog box, adjust the Rows. Form single guides by changing the gutter value to 0. Select OK.
The spread is now ready to receive content, so you can now start adding design elements.
- Use the Rectangle Frame tool to create image frames.
- Add text frames by pressing the letter T. This will activate the Type tool and you can now create text frames.
- For diving frames into columns, click on the frame and select Object > Text Frame Options. Select the number of columns and decide on the distance between them. Then select OK.
- Make text to pass between text frames by tying them together. Select the first frame. Select the out port and then release. Select the next text frame so that the text from the first frame flows to the next frame.
Magazine Design Tips and Magazine Page Design Ideas
Here are a few quick tips on magazine design, which you may consider taking into account for your next projects:
Magazines are commonly judged by their covers. So design a cover that can attract the attention of the target readers. The cover does not need to have strong colors or typography, but style matters the most. Understated yet elegant covers can create stronger impacts.
Focus on the Contents Page
The contents page is as important as the cover page. This is the first page that readers usually visit. There’s no need to pack all the contents of the entire magazine into one page. Rather, you may spread it across two or more pages to promote readability.
Choose Colors Wisely.
With use of the right colors, you can create the desired impact. However, you need to be tricky while choosing colors. A combination of bright hues can make a page appear attractive. However, sometimes the use of a single color may add classiness to the look and feel of a page.
Proper alignment of images and texts adds life to a magazine and you can make it more meaningful by combining text and graphics so as to form infographics. With infographics, you can put across complex ideas in a simple manner. By including infographics in a double-page spread, you can easily catch the attention of your readers.
Emphasize on Fonts
Text is a vital component of a magazine. So you should choose fonts wisely in order to boost your magazine’s design appeal. The headlines and the text of the body can have different fonts. This would further glamorize the overall design.
Use Pull Quotes
Use pull quotes to allow readers to get an idea of what they should expect to read in the upcoming pages. A pull quote is defined as the quote that is extracted from an article and presented in larger and bolder fonts for the purpose of gaining attention.
Keep Adequate White Space
You should include breathable white space throughout your magazine. There’s no need to fill up every page from start to end. When you leave some white space, you will be able to put more emphasis on important sections.
Stick to your identified style throughout the magazine. This means that you should apply the same background colors, page numbering styles and typography throughout the document.
Cover design is most important
If first impression is always considered as the best impression, the cover is of apex relevance because of the genuine reason that it is seen first. Only an attractive cover prompts the customer to pick up the final stuff and most magazine designing outsourcing companies in India have experts specialized in this. It’s always advisable to invest enough time and effort on the cover page creation.
Well thought-out usage of color combinations, readability, proper insertion of art works and maintaining appropriate steadiness throughout are some of the practices which makes the creative products from a typical Indian magazine design outsourcing company stand out.
For high quality eye catching magazine design services kindly get in touch with us.